Kyoko actually looked like Rion Yamashiro when Kyoko was younger.
Kyoko worries quite a bit about her granddaughter's preference to have her read. Still, Kyoko did teach her some secrets of karuta reading that helped her in her karuta style.
Oe admires Kyoko's work a great deal.
Suo prefers Kyoko's reading the most and affectionately calls her "Kyoko-tan".
Sudo attends her karuta reading school in the hopes of becoming a professional karuta reader.
Kyoko first started playing karuta in elementary school.
- Her name Kyoko means "today" (今日) (kyo) and "child" (子) (ko).
- Kyoko's surname Yamashiro means "mountain" (山) (yama) and "castle" (shiro).
- Kyoko owns a rice field.
- In Chapter 128, it is revealed that Kyoko is a former Queen.
- In Chapter 185, it is revealed that Kyoko's maiden name is Hosaka (保坂今日子 Housaka Kyouko). In Chapter 227, however, her middle name has become Toono (遠野今日子 Toono Kyouko).
- Keiko Serino (one of Kyoko's voice actors) is a karuta reader and a member of the All-Japan Karuta Association.
- In Chapter 227, it is revealed that she and Youko Kuzuryu are the same age, so Kyoko is at least 68 years old.