Sumire Hanano (花野 菫 Hanano Sumire) is a first-year student and a member of the Mizusawa High School Karuta Club. She was one of the twenty member-candidates along with Akihiro Tsukuba, but she's not remotely interested in the Hundred Poets and she has a love interest in Taichi Mashima.
Sumire is of average height with long black hair that is tied in twin pigtails with square bangs and golden brown eyes. She is usually seen wearing her school uniform which is a simple white button-up shirt, a plaid ribbon, yellow jacket with the school crest, a checkered skirt and brown school shoes.
She carefully enhances her looks with makeup. Without them she looks somewhat plain.
Sumire is very shallow and vain at first as her first concern is getting a good-looking boyfriend. She is considers herself very beautiful and gets jealous when Taichi Mashima and Chihaya Ayase are together. She sometimes gets moody and sarcastic. She does have sensibility, however, and some poems from the Hyakunin Isshu can affect her.
She seems to be a responsible and reliable upperclassman in her second year, when the new freshman recruits for the karuta club arrive.
Sumire considers Chihaya her enemy as she is very close to Taichi.
Sumire thought that Kanade was her enemy as she was always rebuking her. But Kana was the one who asked Sumire to come back to the club when she blurted out that the only reason she joined the karuta club was because she liked Taichi.
Sumire has a crush on Taichi since she first saw him. She joined the karuta club not because she enjoyed playing karuta, but because she wanted to get close to Taichi. In her first year, she joined the karuta club with 19 other students. She was the one that gave the question: 'Does Taichi-senpai already have a girlfriend?'. In Episode 26, Sumire accidentally confessed her feelings towards Taichi.
- The name Sumire means "Violet" (菫).
- Sumire's surname Hanano means "flower, blossom" (花) (hana) and "field, wilderness" (野) (no).
- In Chapter 135, it is revealed that Sumire is quite skilled in creating chocolate-based food products.
- In Episode 41, Sumire calls herself Mascara Shogun.
- However, when she is faced with Kanade Oe's eyelashes, she says she can no longer call herself that.
- In Season 2 Episode 1, it is shown that Sumire once had a boyfriend named Kazuki, but he broke up with her through a text message that said:
- "First day of school for both of us. I'm so tired. Feel lousy. Time for a new start, though, so why don't we try something new? What I'm trying to say is let's break up."
- (To herself) - "Oe-senpai is so strange. She brings out poems like they're candy or remedies."